Indianapolis, IN Shower Doors
Dr. Shower Door & Mirror, LLC
SHOWER CONSTRUCTION TIPS
- Wood Blocking is a must where door hinges are located.
- Never run plumbing through studs where anchor screw may puncture it.
- Do Not use glass tiles in areas to be drilled. They will crack.
Door Width - Preferred width 30” or less – maximum width 36”.
- Framed doors over 84” require a transom
- Frameless doors over 90” require a transom
- Must be plumb and level
- Do Not use raised decorative tile in the door swing area
- Must be free of overhangs to avoid use of an unsightly metal filler.
- Design door opening to approach wall at 90 degrees – not at an angle.
Body Sprays - Never face body sprays towards door or opening.
Curbs and Seats - Always slope curbs and seats into the shower.
Curb - Slab type recommended – slope into shower 3/16 – ¼” max.
Bulkhead - Should be plumb with curb or an unsightly finished product will occur.
Angles - Always use 90 degree or 135 degree angles – this will result in a better finished product.
- Minimum tempered glass width is 4” – try for 6” it looks much better
- For notched panels 4” minimum for each leg – 6” looks much better.
- Small overhangs can be notched – wider overhangs require a metal filler.